The Early Years (8)
From the early origins of the club through to the first press reports and up to the First World War.
Argaum Villas comprises, or comprised, six large semi-detached houses (or villas) at the Stoke end of Valletort Road which, unhappily, are in the course of losing their individuality through the requirement to number them as part of Valletort Road.
This opened on 26th September against Plymouth Reserves, with a result 5-9; an improvement on earlier meetings. 'Play was bright and entertaining, Vincent obtaining a well deserved try for Argaum, Grigg converting, but Plymouth Reserves had a general superiority'.
To oppose Plymouth Reserves at South Devon place on 15th September 1906, the selected side was G.H. Ley, F.R. Duberty, M. Edwards, L. Godsell, A.D. Meek, E.G. Erde, G. Villar, A.W. Grundy, T.E. Hughes, A.P. Le Provost, E.W. Dudley, P. Harris, W.W. Hitchins, T. Spalding and T.R. Carr - a more than fair sprinkling of new names.